Skip to Content
Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHP)

Are you an internationally educated health professional? OR Are you a health care professional who was educated outside Canada?

Many professional jobs in health care are regulated in Canada. Each province and territory has its own regulator and registration requirements.

Internationally educated health professionals in regulated professions must be registered with the profession’s regulatory body before they can work/practice in Manitoba.

Application for registration can be a complex process. It requires the submission of many documents, including education credentials, verification of work experience, resumes, proof of identification, proof of English language proficiency, and sometimes proof of immigration status.

The process often involves an assessment of clinical competencies and can require additional training before an applicant is given eligibility to write the profession’s national exam. Once these and all other/additional requirements are met, the regulator will then grant the applicant entry on to the profession’s practice registry.

It is important that you learn what the requirements are for application to your profession.

The first step is to review the regulator’s website for your profession.

Here you will find accurate and current information about all of the requirements for registration. This includes important information about the steps and the sources of information you'll require. Some steps can start before you even arrive in Canada.

Some regulator sites include links and information about available supports and resources for IEHP.

Below is a list of all the regulated health professions in Manitoba and their website addresses. Many websites have a section for internationally educated (IE) professionals who wish to apply for registration. Please review the sites carefully.

Registration can take many months to complete and be very costly.

Once all requirements have been met, you will be entered on the profession’s practice registry and can begin to work in your profession in Manitoba.

NOTE: If you currently do not have immigration status in Canada, it is important to contact an immigration office to ensure you meet the requirements to immigrate to Manitoba and/or to be able to work here legally. Please consult the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program at Manitoba Immigration and Economic Opportunities or Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Health Professions

  1. College of Dietitians of Manitoba
  2. College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba
  3. College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Manitoba
  4. College of Midwives of Manitoba
  5. College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba
  6. The College of Pharmacists of Manitoba
  7. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba
  8. College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba
  9. College of Podiatrists of Manitoba
  10. College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba
  11. College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba
  12. The Denturists Association
  13. Manitoba Association of Optometrists
  14. The Manitoba Association of Registered Respiratory Therapists
  15. The Manitoba Chiropractors Association
  16. The Manitoba Dental Association
  17. The Manitoba Naturopathic Association
  18. College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba
  19. The Opticians of Manitoba
  20. The Psychological Association of Manitoba
  21. The College of Dental Hygienists of Manitoba