Skip to Content
Speech Language Pathology

Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP) are skilled professionals with specialized knowledge and clinical training in the assessment and management of communication and swallowing disorders.

SLPs work in a variety of clinical and educational settings which often includes working with other health care professionals as part of a multidisciplinary team. They provide a wide range of services and support for individuals, families, support groups, and information for the general public. For career opportunities please visit the Regional Health Authority websites:

Associations and Licensing

  • In Manitoba, the Manitoba Speech and Hearing Association’s (MSHA) mission is to ensure high quality SLP services by its members to individuals with communication disorders and their families.

  • The College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba is the regulatory body for SLPs in Manitoba. All SLPs who wish to practise in Manitoba must be registered with the College and hold a valid Certificate of Practice. For more information please visit their website at:


  • In Manitoba, a master’s degree is required to practice in speech language pathology. There is currently no training program offered in Manitoba; graduates come from other jurisdictions, and most come from the University of North Dakota.

  • There are nine graduate level training programs offered in speech-language pathology across Canada. Canadian Master’s degree programs available at:

    • Dalhousie University - S-LP and Audiology Programs
    • McGill University - S-LP Program
    • Université de Laval - S-LP Program (French)
    • Université de Montréal - S-LP and Audiology Programs (French)
    • Université d'Ottawa - S-LP and Audiology Programs (French)
    • University of Alberta - S-LP Program
    • University of British Columbia - S-LP and Audiology Programs
    • University of Toronto - S-LP Program
    • University of Western Ontario - S-LP and Audiology Programs

  • Please check the MSHA website and the University of Manitoba website for further information.