Skip to Content

Physiotherapists combine their in-depth knowledge of the body and how it works with specialized hands-on clinical skills to assess, diagnose, and treat symptoms of illness, injury, or disabilities. In Manitoba, physiotherapists practice in hospitals in the public health care system or in private practice not funded by the public health care system. Over the last few years, the number of physiotherapists (PT) has increased significantly mainly as a result of physiotherapists in private practice.

No matter how you choose to practice there are many opportunities waiting for you. For career opportunities please visit the Regional Health Authority websites:

Associations and Licensing:

  • Every PT who practices physiotherapy in Manitoba must be a registered member of the College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba (CPM)
  • All internationally educated physiotherapists (IEPs) - including Canadians educated as PTs in another country - wanting to work in Manitoba as a physiotherapist, must first apply to the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators for a credentialing assessment. Their educational credentials and qualifications will then be assessed to confirm their eligibility to take the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE), which is administered by the Alliance.
  • Anyone who wants to work as a PT - both IEPs and graduates of Canadian programs - must pass the PCE. However, graduates of physiotherapy programs in Canada do not have to complete the Alliance’s Educational Credential and Qualification Assessment before taking the PCE.

The Physiotherapy Competency Examination has two parts:

  • Qualifying Exam (written component) - a multiple-choice examination that evaluates the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and abilities required to work as a physiotherapist in Canada.
  • Physiotherapy National Exam (clinical component) - an examination that evaluates the knowledge and application of a candidate’s skills, behaviors, and abilities. It tests the understanding and the safe, effective application of the principles of physiotherapy practice in Canada.
  • Please note: You must pass the Qualifying Exam before you can take the Physiotherapy National Exam


A Master of Physical Therapy Degree is required in order to practice in Manitoba. If you are interested in a career as PT in Manitoba, please see the University of Manitoba website for further information.

University of Manitoba, School of Medical Rehabilitation
The Department of Physical Therapy
R106 - 771 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0T6
Tel: (204) 789-3897
Medical Rehabilitation Admissions Advisor
Tel: (204) 789-3259